Buddy - Hambleton
The Buddy Network is a befriending project for young people across North Yorkshire.
The aim of the project is to support 14-19 yr olds by helping them to gain confidence, meet their goals and reach independence.
Referrals taken from the Prevention Service. A volunteer buddy will develop a relationship with a young person once that young person has moved on from the Prevention Service. A Buddy will meet with a young person for around 1 hour a week, or whatever contact is needed.
Together, the buddy and young person (and referring worker in some instances) will develop a befriending agreement and identify progression routes and goals. The buddy and young person will meet regularly for a period of approximately 6 months. Meetings will follow a simple framework to allow progression and reflection.
A volunteer Buddy is an additional supporter helping young people to reach their potential, rather than a replacement for a Prevention Service Worker.
· Will be trained and supported to provide the appropriate level of help and support to a young person.
· Will undergo an intensive selection process and will be offered a range of mandatory and developmental training.
· Is not the end of the road for a young person. If a young person develops additional needs or previous issues return, the young person will be referred back into The Prevention Service.
· Will be supported by a Youth Development Worker from NYY.
· Will be invited to network meetings to meet up with other buddies from across the area.
Excellent Listening skills
First-rate interpersonal and communication skills
Ability to engage young people
Ability to encourage strengths and challenge weaknesses
Commitment to personal development
Enthusiastic and positive
Awareness of issues facing young people
Flexibility to work evenings and/or weekends where necessary