Community Connect Volunteer - Harrogate & Rural District
with British Red Cross
Could you help people in your community who are lonely or isolated?
The aim of the Community Connecter role is to support people affected by social isolation and loneliness and to help them gain confidence and to reconnect to their community in partnership with existing and new partner organisations. We will place the person at the centre of what we do and help them by offering positive encouragement, practical help and emotional support, for up to three months, depending on their needs.
We are looking for volunteers to visit individuals in their homes in Harrogate, Masham, Pately Bridge, Ripon and Knaresborough for 4-6 hours per week.
Every individual will need different support from us to help, below are some examples of what you might support with:
- Practical support such as light shopping for someone who has been discharged from hospital
- Reconnecting people someone with their communities to help overcome loneliness
- Helping someone connect with other organisations who can offer them support with their long-term health condition
You need to have good interpersonal skills, diplomacy; communication and teamwork skills and full training can be given for any necessary technical requirements. Also:
- Sensitivity when working with people affected by social isolation and loneliness and an interest in their well-being and finding pathways out of loneliness
- An ability to maintain service user confidentiality
- An ability to provide patient, positive encouragement with the aim of helping people to help themselves
- Good understanding of community groups and networks in the local area with an ability to develop lasting partnerships (we will also provide you with additional information where needed)
- An ability to work independently and as an effective member of a team
- Ability to travel with service users to local groups and events which may include using your own car to drive the service user and could include transporting their children.
- Full drivers licence and access to own car.
- Willingness to attend volunteer induction and appropriate training for the role
- Uphold the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and adhering to the Society’s Equal Opportunities Policy