Can you spare an hour or two each week to help an older person feel less lonely?
We are looking for caring and committed volunteers to help support an older person who lives independently in their own home with regular telephone or video calls.
The aim of telephone befriending is to reduce feelings of social isolation and loneliness. Our Volunteers are required to ring an older person to check on them and build a friendship. One half an hour call seems really simple, but having someone to talk to and someone to listen, could really make a difference to an older person. It could be that you are the only person they speak to that day, or even that week.
We are looking for people with the following skills and qualities:
• Age 18 and over
• Good listening skills
• Patience, empathy and understanding of the needs of older people
• Ability to keep records of calls made
• Flexible, reliable and punctual
• Clear sense of personal boundaries and confidentiality
• Able to provide non-judgemental support
• Willingness to engage with training and development