Volunteer Room Stewards
What will I be doing?
Volunteering in the house as a Room Steward, every day is different and you will be:
- Giving a warm and friendly welcome to our visitors;
- Helping visitors make the most out of their day, whether that be responding to enquiries, providing essential information like directions, or recommending events, activities and other ways for people to get involved with Castle Howard;
- Sharing stories about the history of the house, family and collection, giving visitors a sense that they’ve really got to know about the place;
- Looking after the house and its contents by making sure everyone is safe and the site is secure. This might involve managing the flow of visitors on the house tour; looking after the room and its contents and assisting with the evacuation of visitors in case of an emergency.
You don’t need any specific experience or knowledge for this role. You will enjoy the role if:
- You’re a people person, who enjoys talking with a wide range of visitors;
- You have an interest in cultural heritage and history;
- You want to contribute your time and enthusiasm by helping visitors enjoy their day and taking care of the house and collections.