POSCH Board of Trustee Chair Opportunity
POSCH is a very small charitable organisation of volunteers who support families who have children with any additional needs with or without a diagnosis. We run local parent support groups across Hambleton and Richmondshire and all our groups are parent and volunteer led. In fact, we are all volunteers. While we don’t employ anyone, we do work with funded consultants to support our development and fundraising. We run POSCH from our own homes with groups and events held in local public venues and in recent times, virtually via Zoom.
Our mission is for parents carers of special children in Hambleton, Richmondshire and surrounding areas to feel supported, connected, enabled and inspired to improve the day to day lives and wellbeing of their families. We do this by providing a vibrant support and information network.
The Chair will hold the Board to account for the Charity’s mission and vision, providing inclusive leadership to the Board of Trustees, ensuring that each trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the charity. He or she will act as an ambassador and the public face of the charity.
• Provide strategic leadership to the charity and its board, ensuring that the charity has maximum impact for its beneficiaries.
• Ensure that the Board regularly reviews major risks and associated opportunities, and satisfies itself that systems are in place to take advantage of opportunities and manage and mitigate the risks
• Ensure that trustees fulfil their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the charity
• Develop knowledge and capability of the Board of Trustees
• Ensure that the Board fulfils is duties to ensure sound financial health of the charity, with systems in place to ensure financial accountability
• Chair meetings of the Board of Trustees effectively and efficiently (meeting 6 times each year, currently via Zoom)
• Build a strong, effective, and constructive working relationship with volunteers, consultants and stakeholders.
In addition to the qualities required of a Trustee of the charity, the Chair must also meet the
• Demonstrate a strong and visible passion and commitment to the charity, its strategic objectives and cause
• Exhibit strong inter-personal and relationship building abilities and be comfortable in an ambassadorial role
• Demonstrate tact and diplomacy, with the ability to listen and engage effectively
• Strong networking capabilities that can be utilised for the benefit of the charity
• Ability to foster and promote a collaborative team environment
• Ability to commit time to conduct the role well, including travel and attending events
• Experience in a management position, or a position of leadership within your community or work setting
• Experience of charity governance and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees
• Experience of external representation
• Significant experience of chairing meetings and events
Knowledge and skills:
• Some knowledge and understanding of SEND and current issues
• Strong leadership skills and ability to motivate volunteers
• Financial management expertise and a broad understanding of charity finance issues
• Good understanding of charity governance issues
• An understanding of the needs of those living in Hambleton and Richmondshire