Christmas Volunteer - Oxfam Whitby
Oxfam Whitby needs amazing Shop Volunteers to support us this Christmas.
Our shops would not be able to raise crucial funds for Oxfam’s emergency and development work all over the world without our dedicated volunteers, who provide their time and bring a multitude of skills.
Christmas is the best time of year to be in an Oxfam shop; with lots of festive goodies on sale, our mission is to spread good cheer and raise vital funds for Oxfam's work in relieving poverty. Through the sales of donated goods and our ethical range of products, Sourced by Oxfam, our shops raise millions of pounds each year to fund our crucial work to end the injustice of poverty. Why not donate a little time this Christmas?!
What are your key responsibilities?
Depending on the needs of the shop and your interest, you may be involved in the following:
• Using the shop’s guidelines to sort and price donated clothes, books, homewares etc.
• Providing customer service on the shop floor.
• Creating attractive displays across the shop.
• Promoting our Gift Aid scheme.
• Promoting our exciting sustainable fashion campaigns such as ‘Second-Hand September’.
• Listing items on our online channels including Oxfam’s Online Shop.
• Promoting our shops to the local community through social media.
What will you gain from this opportunity?
• You will be joining thousands of volunteers who “won’t live with poverty”.
• Learn about Oxfam’s humanitarian, development and campaigning work.
• Opportunity to utilise and develop your portfolio of skills and experience.
• Gain valuable experience in retail at an international charity.
• Lunch and local travel expenses can be reimbursed in line with Oxfam’s policy.
We will provide you with ongoing support and training throughout your volunteering:
• Full induction
• Health and Safety
• Role-specific training e.g. till, Gift Aid, Oxfam online shop, etc.
The Application process:
· Show your interest by clicking "Enquire about this opportunity" on VINY and we will send you an email to complete an application form.
· Pick up a Volunteer Application Form in-store, bring, post or email it to the shop. (Please do not send a CV)
· Please email, telephone or pop into the shop and ask to speak with either Lynda our shop manager, or any member of staff.
· We aim to reply to applications within two working days. If you haven’t heard from us, please check your junk folder or get in touch directly.
Once we have completed the required paperwork, you will be asked to come in for a chat with Lynda (and a cup of tea)
Unit 3B, 7 New Quay Road, Whitby. YO21 1DH
Telephone: 01947 604680
What skills and experience are we looking for?
You do not need specific skills and experience but the following would be useful:
• Commitment to Oxfam’s values of empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness.
• Ability to work within Oxfam’s policies and shop guidelines.
• An interest in retail and customer service.
• Ability to work well as part of a team and under own initiative.
• Willingness to learn.